Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Blessing of Christmas


My pastor lent me a copy of The Blessing of Christmas by Pope Benedict XVI (written back when he was Joseph Ratzinger). I've read a few books and encyclicals by him already. Generally, I get a little irritated with him. He usually says something mildly profound but does not carry the thought through all the way and his writing gets bogged down in all kinds of philosophical ideas. But that's not the case with this book. The Pope points us to the true meaning of Christmas and Advent and offers lots of deep theological reflection. Not only is it deep, it's actually a pretty easy read and I didn't find any real theological problems with it. If I were being nit-picky I'm sure I could pick out a couple sentences here or there but overall it's a very theologically solid book. The book would make a nice gift. It's beautiful--lots of color pictures and a ribbon marker.

1 comment:

Rev. Jim Roemke said...

Glad you liked it! One can always find problems with the theological writings of the anti-christ, but as far as writings of the AC go, this one is pretty darn good ;)